THE FUTURE OF ACADEMIC LIBRARIES DEPENDS ON EVERYONE
12 September 2023 | 08h00 – 17h00
|Time (SAST)||Activity||Venue Details|
|07h00 – 08h30||Exhibitors Set-Up||Foyer||Chinua Achebe Auditorium,
|08h30 – 09h00||Registration/ Tea & Coffee||Foyer||Chinua Achebe Auditorium,
|09h00– 09h10||Welcome, Introductions and Order of the Day||Alrina de Bruyn, Director, UJ Library|
Reneka Panday, UJ Library
|Chinua Achebe Auditorium,
|09h10 – 10h30||
Open Day For Exhibitors
1. Springer Nature
2. Worldwide Information Services
7. UJ Press
8. KWAZINTO African Crafts
9. VK Innovations
10. The Faculty of Engineering and the Built Environment
11. The Centre of Ecological Intelligence, UJ
12. The Faculty of Art Design and Architecture (FADA)- Jewellery Design and Manufacture, UJ
13. UJ Library MakerSpace
14. UJ Library Virtual Reality
|10h30 – 11h00||TEA/ COFFEE (Chinua Achebe Auditorium,Level 6)|
|10h45– 11h00||Performance UJ Library Choir|
|11h30 – 12h30||Workshops In Designated Venues|
Title of Workshop: Empowering Minds, Igniting Discoveries: Unlocking the Secrets to Effective Research Support!
Presenter: Samantha Bennett, Senior Customer Education Trainer
2. WorldWide Information Services (WWIS)
Title of Workshop: The librarian in support of the researcher: Exploring emerging AI-driven tools to support topic discovery and manage information overload
Presenter: Kirstin Krauss (PhD), Research Advisor, WWIS.
Title of Workshop: Preserving the quality of research through technology.
Presenter: Bronwyn Rassmann : Director of SAAS and Innovation – Sub Saharan Africa and Mosebjadi Petje: Regional Sales Manager for EBSCO Sub-Saharan Africa.
Title of Workshop: New Ventures and Products in African Research that Support Sustainability and Empower Libraries in the World Today. Presented by Jean Nell and Christelle Vermaak
Title of Workshop: Advancing the research process…machine learning and artificial intelligence to improve research efficiency
Presenter: Daneshree Moodley and John Sterley
6. Title of Workshop: Defining a model for Interdisciplinary collaboration
Participating departments: Jewellery Design, Industrial Design, Fashion Design and UJ Library Makerspace
7. Virtual Reality Lab
Presenter: Thabang Kekae
|Chinua Achebe Auditorium,
Training Room, Level 2
Alan Paton Auditorium,
|12h30 – 14h00||LUNCH (Nadine Gordimer Auditorium, Level 5 )|
|14h15 – 15h15||
|1. Title of Workshop:Three things to bring the students back to your training. |
Presenter: Professor Maria Frahm-Arp, Executive Director, UJ Library
2. Title of Workshop: Let’s play-An interactive session on gaming in education.
Presenter: Dr Herman Myburgh, Senior Lecturer, Institute of Intelligent Systems, University of Johannesburg
3. Title of Workshop: Introduction to Systematic Review.
Presenter: Winkie Siebane, Information Specialist, University of Pretoria Medical School and Kedibone Moagi, Information Librarian, Faculty of Humanities, UJ
4. Title of Workshop:The role of information literacy to overcome information poverty.
Presenters: Dr Elize du Toit, Specialist Librarian: Teaching and Learning, UJ Library
5. Title of Workshop: The Online Book Exhibition
Presenters: Janina van der Westhuizen, Manager: Technical Services, UJ Library
6. Title of Workshop: How to give your Librarian a more online presence.
Presenter: Pavlinka Kovatcheva, Faculty Librarian: Science, UJ Library
|Alan Paton Auditorium,
COCKTAIL DINNER EVENT(Nadine Gordimer Auditorium, Level 5 )
|#####################END WITH AD VIDEOS#########################|
13 September 2023 | 08h00 – 17h00
|08h00 – 08h30||Technical Dry Run | Registration for in-person delegates||Technical /Events Team|
|PERFORMANCE LIBRARY CHOIR|
|09h00 – 09h20||Opening and Welcome||Professor Sarah Gravett. Deputy Vice Chancellor, Research and Innovation, University of Johannesburg|
|09h20 – 10h20||Introduction to the Conference and Keynote Speaker|
Professor Maria Frahm-Arp, Executive Director, UJ Library
Title of talk: Sustainable, Impactful Research and the Role of Libraries in 4IR
|10h20 -10h40|| Tea / Coffee (Chinua Achebe Auditorium,Level 6)
|10h40 – 11h50||
SESSION 1: Budgets and Sustainable Libraries ("Promoting Sustainability: Budgets and Libraries”)
Facilitator: Professor Maria Frahm-Arp
1. Glenn Truran- Director: South African National Library and Information Consortium (SANLiC).
2. Dr Mathew Moyo– Chief Director, Library and Information Service, North-West University (NWU)
3. Veronica Klipp– Publisher, Wits University Press
|11h50 – 12h50||
Professor Earl B Givens, Jr. - Director of Library Services, Catawba College, Salisbury, North Carolina, United States.
Title of talk: From Strategy to Culture: Building Sustainability into Library Organizations.
|12h50 – 13h45||LUNCH (Nadine Gordimer Auditorium,Level 5)
|14h00 – 15h00||
Session 2: Supporting Research into SDG’s in the 4IR.
Facilitator: Ivy Segoe- Research Librarian, University of Johannesburg, South Africa.
1. Polly Boruff Jones - Dean of University Libraries, Oakland University, Michigan, United States. (virtual).
2. Dr Anthony Kaziboni - Head of Research at the Institute for the Future of Knowledge, University of Johannesburg, South Africa
3. Ivy Segoe - Research Librarian, University of Johannesburg, South Africa.
4. Professor M Madhan - Professor of Library Science and Director, Global Library at Jindal Global University based in Sonipat, India (Virtual)
5. Professor Nelago Indongo -Director, Multidisciplinary Research Centre, the University of Namibia. Prof Indongo is a member of the Steering Committee of our ACU Higher Education and the SDGs Network and the lead for the thematic area of research (Virtual)
6. Professor Labode Popoola- Professor of Forest Economy and Sustainable Development, University of Ibadan, Nigeria. (Virtual)
|15h00– 15h15||Tea/Coffee(Chinua Achebe Auditorium,Level 6)
|15h15 – 16h15||
SESSION 3: Re-Imagining Sustainable Libraries
Facilitator: Frederick Mavunduse, Campus Librarian, UJ
1. Ed Fay - Director of Library Services and University Librarian – University of Bristol, England. (Virtual).
2. Kelvin Watson - Executive Director, Library District Administrative Offices, Las Vegas-Clark County Library, Las Vegas. (Virtual)
3. Rebekkah Smith Aldrich -Executive Director at Mid-Hudson Library System, New York. Rebekkah is an active member of the American Library Association (ALA), most recently chairing the new ALA Council Committee on Sustainability (Virtual)
4. Jon Ray – Director of Environmental Sustainability, Wiley (Virtual)
5. Lazarus Matizirofa –Associate Director: Research, Scholarly Communication, Digital Systems & Services, Department of Library Services, Wits University, South Africa.
|CLOSING REMARKS: Zoya Mabuto-Mokoditoa|
Prof. Sarah Gravett
Prof. Maria Frahm-Arp
Dr Mathew Moyo
Prof. Earl B Givens, Jr
Polly Boruff Jones
Dr Anthony Kaziboni
Prof. M Madhan
Prof. Nelago Indongo
Prof. Labode Popoola
Rebekkah Smith Aldrich
Keynote Presentation ( Professor Maria Frahm-Arp)
Keynote Presentation ( Professor Earl B Givens, Jr.)
UJ Library Conference 2023 - Imagining Sustainability Videos
UJ Library Conference 2023 - Imagining Sustainability - Welcome Address - Prof Sarah Gravett
UJ Library International Conference - Imagining Sustainability - Re-Imagining Sustainable Libraries
UJ Library - Prof Maria Frahm-Arp, Sustainable, Impactful Research and the Role of Libraries in 4IR
Prof Earl B Givens, Jr. From Strategy to Culture: Building Sustainability into Library Organization
UJ Library - Imagining Sustainability - Panel Discussion - Supporting Research into SDG's in the 4IR
2023 Conference - Imagining Sustainability - Panel Discussion on Budgets and Sustainable Libraries.
UJ Library - International Conference 2023 - Imagining Sustainability - Highlights